Sunday, August 27, 2017

This I believe...

     I believe in the power of decency. There are so many cruel and hateful things in our world and we could change that if we would choose to be decent instead of hateful. Why can't we all just be decent human beings? You don't need to be best friends with everyone, you don't even need to be nice to everyone. All you need to do is be decent to people. The small act of decency could have a much greater impact that people realize.
     If we all believed in the power of decency then I'm sure that our world would be in a much better place. Less fights, less drama, and probably less stress! In middle school I was one of the “mean girls” of our school. I would judge people based on appearances and I would be rude to people for no reason. It wasn't until I realized that the things that I said actually affected people that I figured out I had to stop being the “mean girl”. After I started to be decent to people my life became so much easier, and so did the lives of the people around me. I gained many friends and lost several enemies, all because I started being a decent person. The power of decency was one of the best lessons that I have learned so far.
     It doesn't cost anything to be decent to people and it is not a hard thing to do. The power of decency is one of the most simple things that you can do to turn your life around. Being mean, rude, or judgemental isn't worth the troubles that come along with it. Always be the better person and choose to be decent because it’ll make your life and the lives of those around you much easier. And this is why I believe in the power of decency.

1 comment:

  1. I love this simple statement of belief. Decency is something that is missing from a lot of the more tense or contested situations in the world. Your point makes me wonder, though, when the time for decency has passed. Like, if someone is feeling the weight of an injustice (large or small), when has it just been too long? When is it past the time for being polite? How do we decide which causes justify some in-your-face tactics and which ones will make us look like pouty indecent "mean girls"?

    This post would be made MUCH more powerful with some more attention to your experiences (more like the middle school story, OR a more in-depth telling of that single story)--it would also improve if you spent more time EXPLAINING what, exactly, we mean by decency.

    On format-blogs don't get indents. Instead, use short block paragraphs with spaces between them, like in this comment.

    ReplyDelete